01 April 2011

Sweet Struggle of Release

Dear Inner Child;

Didn't I banish you years ago? What are you doing here, creeping around in my clothes? Where did you learn to saunter around in heels? How did you learn to dress to accentuate your curves so well? And where did you get curves, for that matter? What happened to your jutting ribs and petulant slouch? I can't find a single twig or clover in your elegantly coiffed hairdo. What are you using, bobby pins? I still can't figure out how to use bobby pins, how did you perfect the technique? No seriously, how? I could use some pointers.

That radiant smile you beam so generously at my friends a new captive audience; there's not a hint of my carefully crafted cynicism. The lines around your eyes don't betray a single tear that's ever been shed. Where is my piercing wit? Why are you being so kind, how have they earned your affection so easily? The effortless joy with which you relish my life, you almost make it seem fun. I almost envy you for walking my path so delicately.

After everything I've done to suppress you, you still emerge hale and hearty when I least expect it. I thought you were to forever remain a ghost of my former insecurities, preying upon the adult facade I've so carefully constructed over the years. I've fought so hard to get it right, and only now do I discover that all I had to do was let go and you would show up just to show me up.

Love and resentment,

Your outer adult

No comments:

Post a Comment